a warhammer online blog

Thursday, 5 February 2009

Desktop Ordered

My guildies know too well that I have a ghetto laptop that causes CTD every 45 minutes or so ingame. A scenario pops at the wrong time? Finishes at the wrong time? I decide to take a flight? I crash out. And it takes bloody forever to reload the game (seriously Mythic, make some of those loading screens faster/optional!). And I'm not the only one with a severe CTD issue, it's been pretty prevalent in a variety of systems since launch date. I did google around a few months back and theories range from a background program to processors being overloaded.

Regardless, I know I am lucky to have been able to play at all.

Thankfully, I have an awesome boyfriend who decided to buy me a brand new gaming rig to replace the (crappy) desktop I've left behind in the UK, and we ordered it last night. It's a massive leap in quality:
  • 6GB of RAM
  • 500GB hard drive
  • Intel Quad Core 2.40GHz processor
  • nVidia Geforce GTX 280 graphics card
We did debate about the graphics card and the processor, but from experience, Warhammer is less about the processor and all about boosting your RAM/graphics card.* I was also trying to keep the cost below $1500 (which we just about managed, at least until I was reminded that tax et al is added on afterwards) and buying the best of everything would have been unbelievably expensive. We also bought this monitor separately, which was on sale, has a mail in rebate and is a lesser model of one that came recommended to me. It has speakers included, so for now we're holding off from picking up some new ones, but Creative has a great clearance/refurbishment section that's worth keeping an eye on.

I wanted the desktop for the next Live Event, as playing has become more unbearable since moving out to California, but Dell predicts it won't arrive until the 12th. I'll steal my boyfriend's computer for the Night of Murder, I guess, but I can't wait for the Dell to arrive.

*And also great for the Sims 3, which will be my other big investment in gaming time for 2009. Looking around, there doesn't seem to be much of interest on the list of releases for the year.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, if only I had money for a good rig. The sad reality is that I can't even plunk down half that amount for a new desktop.

    I don't even have that much in my savings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grats on the new rig, it will be a world of difference for you.

    It's funny you talk about all your problems considering one of my recent posts. Considering your system though, I believe you made some devilish pact involving souls to get it to work ;)

    ReplyDelete